Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:43:18 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing source code and rebuilding kernel -- how do I maintain my changes?

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:21:50PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> In order to remove a diagnostic message, I need to change one line of if_xlreg.h
> in the source code.  What is the proper procedure for changing the file and
> maintaining the change should the source code be updated?  For the moment, I
> just copied the original source to if_xlreg.h.old in the same directory, then
> made my change, with a comment that I can grep if I need to find it in future.
> Is this a good way to do it?  What happens when I refresh all the source with
> more recent versions?

The easiest way to handle things like this is to use cvsup to maintain
a local copy of the CVS repository. Then use cvs to update you source
tree from your local repository.  Cvs will not overwrite your local
changes even if that file is modified in the repository but rather try
to merge in your modifications in the new file.
This way you also don't need to keep an extra copy of the file since
you can always check out a fresh copy of the original file from the
repository if necessary.

The downside of this is that you will need a local copy of the
repository which currently consumes about 1.3GB of disk space.

(You could use anonymous cvs to update from a remote repository but
that is fairly slow.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson