Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2009 18:51:23 -0500
From:      "Gabriel Lavoie" <glavoie@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   EST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology) on amd64

Hello,
     I recently built a small home server using an Inten 45nm E5200 @
2.5 GHz. With FreeBSD 7.0, the "est" driver had problems pooling for
the CPU frequency/voltage pairs and automatically disabled itself. It
left the CPU at the frequency the BIOS put it after startup, 1.25 GHz
because I have EIST enabled. I had to manually change the frequency or
use powerd to put it at maximum. Now I upgraded to FreeBSD 7.1 and
everything in my systems seems supported correctly. The est driver now
recognize the CPU and load the correct information. Also, after
bootup, the frequency of the CPU is at max (2.5 GHz). What I would
like is to get the behaviour of EIST found under Windows and Linux
where the CPU is automatically downclocked to 1.25 GHz when the system
isn't under any load, but comes back to 2.5 GHz as soon as there is
some load. I also get this behaviour under Linux on my Core 2 Duo and
I really like it. What I found interesting is that it seems the Intel
45nm CPUs use under 5W of power when they are idle and EIST
downclocked them. I would really like to take profit of this low power
consumption. I found about "estctrl" on this page
http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-est/ but it seems outdated and when
I try to build the port, it tells me that it is only supported on the
i386 architecture. Why not amd64?

Thanks

Gabriel

--