Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:43:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   opinions on password policies

Please don't flame me if this is not appropriate content for security, I
wasn't sure after reading the charter. If it's inappropriate, a polite
email will suffice :)

After spending a week trying to use my rudimentary programming skills to
hack Makefiles and C source code, I've failed miserably in getting either
"npasswd" or "passwd+" to compile on 4.2-Release. So I have some questions
for the BSD sysadmins out there:

* Is the lack of a port for either of these utilities an indication that
  noone uses them? If that's the case, what do sysadmins use to enforce
  good passwords?

* Those admins I have talked to seem to prefer using "crack" after the
  fact. Is this common practice? I may be showing my Unix-greenness here,
  but when I was taught to admin other OSs, password policies were always
  a 2-step process: use whatever utilities for that OS would enforce
  policy and then periodically crack the password database to ensure it
  worked. Is this not done in BSD-land?

* Has ANYONE been able to build "npasswd" or "passwd+" on FreeBSD? After a
  week of effort, it would be great to have the satisfaction of seeing it
  work :)

TIA,

Dru