Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 2015 22:29:05 +1100
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: CARP vhid: across interfaces?

On 1/01/2015 10:22pm, Freddie Cash wrote:
> There's a sysctl specifically for this. Not at my computer right now, but the following should make it jump out at you:
>
> # sysctl -d | grep carp

I'm guessing this one (from the openBSD docs)...

net.inet.carp.preempt
    Allow hosts within a redundancy group that have a better advbase and advskew to preempt the master. In addition, this option also enables failing over a group of interfaces together in the event that one interface goes down. If one physical CARP-enabled interface goes down, CARP will increase the demotion counter, carpdemote, by 1 on interface groups that the carp(4) interface is a member of, in effect causing all group members to fail-over together. net.inet.carp.preempt is 0 (disabled) by default.

But the FreeBSD man page doesn't talk about carpdemote

net.inet.carp.preempt		   Allow virtual hosts to preempt each
					   other.  When	enabled, a vhid	in a
					   backup state	would preempt a	master
					   that	is announcing itself with a
					   lower advskew.  Disabled by
					   default.

At any rate what does "interface groups that the carp(4) interface is a member of" mean?

Freddie, thanks for pointing me to this setting. Maybe the answer is in the somewhere.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis