Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:37:07 -0700
From:      Rich <rich@central.pathlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vinum recovery (input/output error on a stripe)

Hi,

I ran into an odd error this morning with a vinum configuration (FreeBSD
V4.0 CD install) and wasn't sure if I could correct it. About a year or so
back I installed two scsi drives as a stripe and had been working fine. The
system has three drive, one for "/" and the stripe mounted on /var. I have
vinum setup to start up in my /etc/rc.conf file.

I was getting an input/output error on the stripe. I ran a hardware check
on the two scsi drives and wasn't seeing any errors for them so those
looked like they checked out okay. When I boot into single user mode I
ran  a "mount -a" and got a "mount: Input/output error" message. The stripe
is the only other file system I have setup to mount automatically in
/etc/fstab. I tried running fsck on /dev/vinum/mystripe but it wasn't
seeing that as a freebsd file system.

I can load vinum but when I try to start it gave me an error...

	P mystripe.p0	S State: corrupt	Subdisks: 2 Size 16 GB
	S mystripe.p0.s0   State: stale	PO:  0 B Size 8360 MB

I had originally create this configuration for vinum
	drive d1 devise /dev/da1s1e
	drive d2 devise /dev/da1s2e
	volume mystripe
	plex org striped 512k
	sd length 0 drive d1
	sd length 0 drive d2

When I use a "list -v" in vinum I get the following (summarized). Looked
like the plex was corrupt and the first drive was stale...

Drive d1:	Device /dev/da1s1e
	Size 8361 MB
	State: up
	Last error: none
Drive d2:	Device /dev/da2s1e
	Size 8361 MB
	State: up
	Last error: none

1 volumes
Volume mystripe	Size 16721 MB
	State: up
	Flags
	1 plexes
	Read policy: round robin

1 plexes
Plex mystripe.p0:	Size 16721 MB
	Subdisks: 2
	State corrupt
	Part of volume mystripe

2 subdisks:
Subdisk mystripe.p0.s0
	Size	8360 MB
	State: stale
	Plex mystripe.p0 at offset 0 B
	Drive d1 (/dev/da1s1e) at offset 132 kb
Subdisk mystripe.p0.s1
	Size	8360 MB
	State: up
	Plex mystripe.p0 at offset 512 kb
	Drive d2 (/dev/da2s1e) at offset 132 kb

If the drives were okay but the plex is corrupt, is the data recoverable? I
wasn't able to run the "vinum dumpconfig" command, but sounds like I might
need to run "resetconfig". I do have my original config file available. If
so would I run that as "resetconfig /path/to/configfile".

Thanks,
Rich