Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2011 17:04:24 -0400
From:      grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Webcam recommendations

> I think most (all?) of the current webcams are UVC ones.

This seems to be the trend with the newer models I've looked at.

> A UVC driver is contained in the webcamd port, but it is V4L2-only.
> FreeBSD's Linux compatibility layer does not support that, so it
> will not work with Linux binaries, including Skype.

Simply because I'm sure folks would make good use of it...
Is anyone working on V4L2 for the FreeBSD Linux compat?

I looked briefly at the voice/video app landscape a year ago and
felt pretty sure I could find an open source, FreeBSD compilable,
app that would suit. I thus discounted the need for binary Linux
apps enabled via FreeBSD's Linux compatibility layer.  As always,
I'm sure things have improved since then.

> If you want Skype support, it's probably best to pick up a used
> camera on eBay that works with the pwc port.

And slightly off topic about Skype...
I prefer things fully point2point, perhaps augmented by DHT if need
be, or even dyndns. Afaik, Skype still uses Skype servers for some
things (login), maybe for call setup (CDR), requires registration
with them, and are owned in part by eBay, etc. They are closed
source, have non-public and controversial crypto capabilities, don't
interoperate with the rest of the SIP/VOIP world, etc.
It would be just as easy for me to get the folks I'd like to chat
with to install an open tool as it would Skype.
In addition to all the open point2point tools, we also have GNU
Free Call coming down the pipe as well:
http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/?p=14
So my interest in Skype is quite low, don't believe the Skype hype :)