Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:39:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need to rebuild libkvm,ps,w

> > Actually, isn't it really the memory image arguments to ps/w/et. al.
> > that cause the problem?  We could go to /proc tomorrow if /proc
> > were mandatory and we didn't care about ps'ing crash dumps (doing
> > that sems to me to be the job of the kernel debugger, anyway).
>
> Argh.  I keep forgetting that case 8(.  Who does still use ps on crash
> dumps?  Is it useful in that form?

I found it useful; I'm sure many people would say that it was.
Mostly because there is no good "crash" program with an intrinsic
"ps" command to replace it.

As an alternative to "/proc", it should be possible to put a
"shared library" in a seperate object section in a kernel, and
have *it* know about the kernel data format.  This would be
transported with the kernel, and so available to the users
trying to debug a crash-dump.  Be default, the kernel section
would not be loaded by the kernel loader (section name "ABI"?),
and used by the tools with no direct knowledge of the kernel
data internal itself.

Functionally, this identical to a procesural interface instead
of a data interface, which is the main issue that needs
addressing.

Of course, it requires going to ELF, since a.out can't do
sections, a requirement of the design, but that's probably
less eventual work than crafting a good "crash" program and
a full-on "/proc" interface (which, unless adulterated, isn't
much good for anything but processes).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org