Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 00:23:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sandip Srivastava <ssriva1@gl.umbc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Communication problems

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Sandip Srivastava wrote:

> I am not connected to a network and have no network card in my pc.  I do
> have a 14400 internal modem on com1 irq4 in my pc.
>
> When I run "seyon", I get the following messages:
>
> Warning:  Could not execute `seyon-emu.
> Notice:  Falling to `xterm'.
>
> Modem initialization routine failed
>
> What's wrong here?

The modem initialization failed.

Try running seyon as:

seyon -modems /dev/cuaa0

You can put the modems information in an X resource; see the seyon man
page for info.

> I have run "ppp" and am able to make a connection using "term", but
> things don't work properly.  The automatic dial routine does not work.
> When I do get connected manually by using the "atdt" commands, I am not
> able to ping any hosts even by using their IP addresses.  Packets are
> transmitted, but none are received.  What could be wrong?

You need to modify the script in /etc/ppp.conf to fit your provider's needs.

For the broken packets, make sure the routing is OK.  Check netstat -rn.

> I connect to the "PPP" line as follows:

You need to make a new login script in /etc/ppp.conf.  check out
/etc/ppp.conf or the ppp man page.

> Help would be appreciated on how to configure "User PPP", and on how to
> make "seyon" run.

Try what I've written and look at the man pages.