Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

On 14 Jun 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net> writes:
> > "All the development that SGI is doing on the Linux kernel will be
> > released under GPL, and that includes page cache and buffer cache
> > changes we might be making for XFS. Note however that XFS itself
> > is not part of the kernel but rather a loadable module. The terms
> > of the XFS license are still being reviewed by our legal staff.
> I hope they won't be too busy "reviewing the terms of the XFS license"
> to read the GPL and discover that it requires them to release XFS
> under GPL, even if it is "not part of the kernel but rather a loadable
> module".

From what I understand, they are able to release the code under the GPL,
while still retaining full rights to the original code, which they can
also retain as proprietary software under a different open source license.
Much like the way the Apache group does stuff, like Ralph Engeschall's
shutils package, which is released under the Apache license, as well as
his own license, as well as any other licenses he feels like.  The only
difference would be SGI wouldn't be allowed to incorporate (directly from
the GPL'd source) any changes made to the GPL'd source without GPL'ing
that derivative work.

I don't see as how that should affect them any.  In fact, releasing under
the GPL would probably be good for them, as it gives them the PR benefits
of being pro-OSI, without allowing Sun or HP or any other OS vendor to
directly capitalize on their contribution.

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet