Date:      Sat, 5 Nov 2005 14:57:07 -0800
From:      "Gayn Winters" <gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com>
To:        "'Dave'" <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: gmirror clearing configuration

I'm sure others have more gmirror experience than I do, but maybe this
will help...

The metadata is stored in the last sector of the logical disk.  Zap both
physical disks with
  dd if=/dev/zero of=...  skip=n-1 count=1 bs=512b
where n is the number of sectors.  After you do this you'll of course
need to rebuild the mirror.  Backup and be careful!!!

You can also do this with the gmirror utilities by removing one drive
from the mirror, then undoing the mirror and the remaining drive (which
zeroes the last sector) and then rebuilding.  When I tried this once, I
had a little trouble with the fact that the removed drive still had the
metadata on its last sector.  I think I had to zap its last sector prior
to adding it back into the mirror.

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.
714/532-6776