Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:10:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Message from Pauper <pauper_i@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - installation directories

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Message from Pauper wrote:

>    This one is in three parts, but I'd appreciate some advice if anyone
> can answer any (or all) parts :-)
>
> PART ONE
>    I downloaded the installation from FTP4.FreeBSD.org and used the
> -stable version for the download (don't want to get into experimental
> stuff yet till I have more experience).

If this is the case, then use a -RELEASE, not -STABLE.  -STABLE can still
be broken.

>  The install refers to the source and man directories, but this doesn't
> correspond to the directory structure on the ftp.  How should the
> directories be ordered ?

I don't understand what you're asking.

>    The download was effected under win95 running cuteFTP32 - all went
> well until I discovered that some of the directory names don't comply
> with the standard 8.3 structure.   Yes, I know that if I download from a
> unix machine this isn't a problem, but here were talking about the code
> to set up a unix machine (which came first, the chicken or the egg ? ;)

You're trying to pull the source, it looks like.  Are you really sure you
want to do that?  You don't have a box to build it with.

> PART THREE
>   The install manuals refer to parts of the sourde which may not be
> exported from the US or Canada.  Since I'm not in either, I tried to
> identify which particular directories were involved - does anyone have a
> list of the directories which should NOT be exported ?  (I may have some
> deleting to do *grin*)

Anything under des/ is ``protected'' although certain court rulings in the
walnut creek area do allow ftp.freebsd.org to export the crypto. ftp4 is
probably out of reach of that tho.