Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:30:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Xorg ATI Rage-Mobility Bug

Both Xorg and XFree86 4.4 have this problem. The card works in XFree86 4.3.

The problem is reported in Xorg as Bug#: 1109, report 2004-08-17. It has been
fixed in XFree86 4.4.99.7, CHANGELOG #133.

My many questions:

   1) is XFree86 going to be a supported package in FreeBSD 5?
   2) will Xorg pick up the XFree86 fix?
   3) how can I tell when this hits the CVS tree for eith product?

I assume to get my system to work with 5.0 I will have to build X. XFree86 seems
to have enough information and source on their site to do this. I really don't
have a clue with Xorg without #3.

I am also ignorant of the considerations going into dropping support of XFree86.
My experience to date is getting rather prompt and clear answers from XFree86
and silence from posting the err to Xorg.

Fixing the problem in XFree would seem to be as easy as picking up the 4.4.99.15
source tarball and building. I would prefer to do it as a port so the rest of my
desktop could come in as packages.

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts about all this.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com