Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 95 11:53:11 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        mbailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR810 problem?

[ ... generic whine in which someone wants a driver fixed instantly ... ]

Stefan, I agree with all of your points in response to the whine.

People:

1)	A developer can only respond to problems that are reported.

2)	In large part, they can only debug a problem they can
	duplicate.

3)	In extreme cases (and extreme patience above and beyond what
	anyone has a right to expect) they can debug remotely -- but
	only with the knowledgeable help of the person evidencing
	the bug.

4)	You can't taunt someone into fixing their code.  Especially
	when you can't provide a procedure to prove to them on the
	hardware available to them that it's even broken in the
	first place.

I'm truly saddened that Wolfgang Stanglmeier took such idiocy so
personally as to allow it to drive him away.  I truly appreciate
the work you and Wolfgang have put in on the code, even if I don't
personally use any of it as yet.  It's the principle, not the result.

Maybe something should be done to filter bug reports, like taking
the send scripts and pointing them at a list that will discard
(with mail back to the sender) any bug report missing the header
items that indicate that it was either send by the automatic system
in accordance with the established procedure (or that someone has
otherwise put it in the correct format).

This would leave the rest of the subscribers to the bugs list to
answer/reformat bug reports that were also ad hominim attacks
and submit them through the new (non-bugs@freebsd.org) channel.

If my discussion of the sequencer window issue with the arguably broken
Quantum drives has been a contributing factor, I appologise.  It was
not my intent to "call out" anyone, only to explain what I felt the
problem was (and as Rod pointed out, it was the wrong Quantum drive
for that to even be the problem, as far as we know).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---