Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:03:19 +0200
From:      Vitaly Magerya <vmagerya@gmail.com>
To:        Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recursively Deinstalling and Upgrading Packages/Ports without Breaking Dependencies?

On 2015-01-27 01:28, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
> With portupgrade, I used to use "pkg_deinstall -R" to deinstall a
> package and its dependencies while preserving the packages on which
> other packages were depending on. With pkgng, the behaviour of
> "pkg_deinstall -R" changed and this command is now breaking
> dependencies. Is there a new method to safely remove packages
> recursively?

Since nothing better was suggested, you should try using
ports-mgmt/pkg_cleanup for this task.

> Also, in the past, it used to be possible to use a "portupgrade -NRra"
> command to upgrade all packages and install new dependencies as
> required, but the "-N" option is no longer supported in this context and
> portupgrade seems unable to automatically install new dependencies. Is
> there an alternate method to achieve this?

I think ports-mgmt/portmaster has no problems with installing
new dependencies; "portmaster -a" will upgrade all the installed
ports. I'm not really familiar enough with portupgrade to say
if the exact behavior of it's "-Rr" switch can be replicated
with portmaster though.