Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:19:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

Hi,

Every time a cron job runs it produces the output:

CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

which gets mailed to root. I searched the archives but didn't come up with
anything. Nothing seems to produce that error when run interactively.

We're running 3.3-STABLE from November the 29th on an IBM 686 200 with
32MB RAM and an IDE drive.

On a probably related matter we had a lot of processes die with signal 4
(one or two a day). We swapped the RAM and I thought it had stopped but
one died yesterday (telnetd). Previously running make index in /usr/ports
would always die with sig4 but since the RAM swap its been fine...

Any suggestions? I assume sig4 indicates that there is corruption in
either the memory, cache or bus but I have no idea why or what causes the
CRON error.

Thanks,

Andrew