Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:32:53 -0400
From:      Jooka Hyno <bl29x5@earthlink.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bad namelist

After searching for the solution to this problem, I came upon a post which
reminded me that I had used /dev/null earlier as part of a redirection of
output.  In January Peter Dufault talked about /dev/null being the possible
cause of a bad namelist error for various programs (ps, w, umount, et al).
This does indeed seem to be the problem.  I attempted to fix it by issuing the
following commands as super-user:

cd /dev
cp null null.old
mknod null c 2 2
chmod 666 null
w (to test it out)

It solved the problem.  If something like this has been posted already, I
apologize, and only wish I had seen it in the mailing list search before
attempting to mess with devices myself.