Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 04:59:54 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        anderson@centtech.com
Cc:        security <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pipsecd - thru port

In message <3A002C78.7F3537D4@centtech.com>, Eric Anderson writes:
> I'm using ipsec (with pipsecd on two FreeBSD 4.1 machines) to build a
> VPN.  I need to go thru a firewall, but I don't know which ports to
> forward thru, or if this is even possible.. So here's what I want to do:
>
> -----      -----      ------
> | A | -----|FW |------| B  |
> -----      -----      ------
>
> machine A is a freebsd box inside the firewall (FW), B is the freebsd
> box outside the firewall attempting to connect to A thru FW, in other
> words, B thinks its connecting to FW port XX, but FW forwards port XX to
> port XX on A, connecting the vpn thru the FW.. I currently have VPN's
> set up with linux boxen with the SSH+PPP method, which works alright, it
> would just work a LOT better with ipsec and such.. So, what ports do i
> need to forward on FW to make this all work?

Pipsecd and IPsec use ESP and AH, protocols 50 & 51 (/etc/protocols),
NOT services (ports as in /etc/services) 50 & 51.  Your firewall must
be configured to pass packets matching the protocol.  As a picture is
worth a thousand words, here are samples from one of my IP Filter
firewalls.

pass in quick on xl0 proto esp from EXTERNAL_IP_ADDR to any
pass out quick on xl0 proto esp from any to EXTERNAL_IP_ADDR
pass in quick on xl0 proto ah from EXTERNAL_IP_ADDR to any
pass out quick on xl0 proto ah from any to EXTERNAL_IP_ADDR

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC