Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:33:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      jimu@hcsmail.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Lab Machines Hardware Compatability

Hi, I am building up 2 machines that will be used for educational
purposes. These machines will be using removable hardrive trays so that
they can be used to learn multiple OS's. The freebsd version I was going
to be using was 3.2 / 4.4 Lite Based. Please review my hardware list to
tell me if there are any potential hardware compatability issues.

Motherboard - Asus CUSL2-C with Pentium III 1.0 Ghz

Hardrive - IBM 75 GXP or 60 GXP series ATA/100 drives (Are there any UDMA
issues here?)

Sound Card - Sound Blaster PCI 64 (Already have this card) (Would a sound
blaster PCI 16 work better?)

Network - 3Com 905b-TX (I know this card will work)

Keyboard - Standard Generic 104 keyboard

Mouse - Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (Using only the PS/2 port. Not
worried about bundled software, just hardware)

Video - Matrox G400 single head 16mb

CD/DVD-ROM - Toshiba 12x IDE DVD-ROM (Mainly used for the CD-ROM function)

Monitor - Probably a new Viewsonic 17" or 19"

Any advice you can give on this hardware and any other hardware would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks a whole bunch,

Jim