Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:21:55 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some questions about Java ports

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:41:52PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > > ??????3) Is "USE_JAVA=version" legitimate, or is one supposed to
> > > ?????? ? use the redundant "USE_JAVA=yes" and "JAVA_VERSION=version"?
> >
> > The first is legitimate but deprecated, the second is preferred.
>
> Redundancy wins :-(
>
> Before going to sleep, a programmer puts a glass of water next to his bed --
> in case he wakes up thirsty. And an empty glass -- in case he does not...

I think you're looking at this in a very blinkered fashion.  Prior to the
current bsd.java.mk, the only thing that was configurable was the version,
so it made some sense to be able to encode it in USE_JAVA.  Now there are
other selection criteria (native or not, vendor), so it doesn't make sense
to arbitrarily pick one selection criterion (version) and mix it with the
simple yes/no of whether the port uses Java or not.

Despite that, the old way of doing things does work, you'll just get hate
mail from Herve and I if you commit a new port that uses it ;-).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org