Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:56:02 -0500
From:      Matt Crawford <crawdad@fnal.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Inserting Aironet 4800 card hangs FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE GENERIC

I have a Sony Vaio Z505DX with a recent (last week) installation of
FreeBSD 4.3.  pccardd is enabled and running with no changes to
/etc/defaults/pcard.conf.  When I insert my Aironet 4800 card, the
machine hangs, but solid.  (Keyboard and touchpad are ignored,
processes which were producing output to the screen no longer do, and
if I kill it with the power switch and reboot, it hangs after probing
the parallel port unless I unplug the power and the battery first.
Now that's a hung system!)

The same hardware dual-boots Windows 2000 and the same Aironet card
works fine there.  The same hardware and card used to work under
3.4-RELEASE after I made a one-line change to the one of the files in
the pccard driver to turn on both the + and - voltages before reading
out the card data.  (That was a departure from spec in my Aironet
card.  I'm afraid I didn't save the change but I'm pretty sure it was
"slt->pwr.vpp = 50;" in inserted() in sys/pccard/pccard.c and is now
incorporated into the source tree.  Ah yes, I see it at
RELENG_4_2_0_RELEASE.)

Here's uname -a ...
FreeBSD gleipnir.dhcp.fnal.gov 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001     jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386