Date:      16 Feb 2002 05:02:00 +0100
From:      Christian Weihs <c.weihs@whitey.at>
To:        pirat <pirat@access.inet.co.th>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft modem list or list of modem that works with freebsd

Am Sa , 2002-02-16 um 05.10 schrieb pirat:

Softmodems are - if I am right - WinModems. I don't think there
are drivers for UN*X, just for Windoze. But luckily, nearly every
serial or USB modem should work with FreeBSD.

cheers

Christian

> hi sirs,
>
> really apologize once more time to the list.  i started up my private
interest website about FreeBSD in Thailand.  since then there are about
2000 visitors to my site,  almost all of them are newbies.

> they asked me, and complained that my  answer is wrong, how to connect
to the internet by freebsd box.

> i,  finally after a long thread of q&a, just give them the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
that i use for connecting to my isp, and sure i do not give my authkey+authname
but tell them what is what.

> the feed back is that, oh it does not work. even i tell them to simply entering
interactive mode and do ath, atz, at&f, atdt99999999 and so on.

> i wonder that it is likely that they are using the modem that is one of softmodem.
do any of you here have a list of such softmodem ? or even the list of modem that
works fine with FreeBSD.

> if any of you here are interested in answering to thai's freebsd newbies please
goto http://www.thai.net/makham or http://isag38.ce.kmitl.ac.th/~makhamus and there
you'll find a link to ThaiBSD board.