Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 01:06:24 -0400
From:      Dennis Cheung <prophetx2@home.com>
To:        "Sung N. Cho" <sucho2@vt.edu>, "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Has anyone got their USB mouse working on FreeBSD 4.x?

On Monday 16 July 2001 21:36, Sung N. Cho wrote:
> "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" wrote:
> > On Monday, July 16, 2001 21:06:24 -0400, "Sung N. Cho" <sucho2@vt.edu>
> > wrote:
> > +-----
> >
> > | Has anyone got their USB mouse working on their FreeBSD system?  I
> >
> > +--->8
> >
> > I plugged the USB mouse from a Sun Blade 100 into my 4.3-RELEASE laptop
> > to see what would happen, and it "just worked".
> >
> > | detects the mouse "Kensington MIAB mouse" but I'm not seeing any mouse
> > | cursor on console nor do I get any response when I try to use it under
> > | X.  Only PS/2 mouse is working at the moment.
> >
> > +--->8
> >
> > If you're doing this under X, you probably want to make sure you're using
> > sysmouse; if it's set to use the PS/2 mouse directly then it will only
> > use that and never notice the USB mouse.  Using sysmouse XFree86 happily
> > used both the onboard PS/2 trackpad and the USB mouse while the latter
> > was plugged in.
> >
> > --
> > brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]
> > allbery@kf8nh.apk.net system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]
> >     allbery@ece.cmu.edu electrical and computer engineering
> >                     KF8NH carnegie mellon university     [linux: proof of
> > the million monkeys theory]

> Yes, I did that.
>
> But, that doesn't seem to work.  I get device busy, cab't open error!
>
> in /etc/rc.conf  I have usbd_enable="YES"
> in /etc/X11/XF86Config, for the pointer section, I have:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier    "Mouse0"
>         Driver        "mouse"
>         Option        "Protocol"  "auto"
>         Option        "Device"  "/dev/sysmouse"
> EndSection
>
> This didn't work, so I tried now:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier    "Mouse0"
>         Driver        "mouse"
>         Option        "Protocol"  "auto"
>         Option        "Device"  "/dev/ums0"
> EndSection
>
> This doesn't work either!
>
> At the console, I tested,
> #moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto
> and this gives unable to open device, device busy signal!   I've disabled
> both serial ports and parallel ports so there are enough irqs available for
> USB mouse to use.  FreeBSD claims Kensington MIAB optical mouse is
> supported.
>

> Sung N. Cho,
> Dept. of Physics,
> Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University.

Edit /etc/rc.conf and add the following lines:
    moused_enable="YES"
    moused_type="auto"
    moused_port="/dev/ums0"
    moused_flags=""
    usbd_enable="YES"
    usbd_flags=""
also make sure you have this in your kernel conf

    controller        uhci0
    controller        ohci0
    controller        usb0
    device            ums0
when you boot up type vidcontrol -m on.

That did it for me when i couldn't figure out was wrong.  Does your mouse
work at all in /stand/sysinstall after you edited the /etc/rc.conf like you
are supposed to?  I have a logitech usb mouse and it works fine as well as a
razor boomslang usb mouse.  Good luck.

-Dennis