Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:55:38 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP nerd toy report

Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com> wrote:

> Well, this is in part why I sent mail--I have no idea what is good or
> not.  I meant I'm a happy nerd more in the "look at my neat SMP toy"
> as opposed to "look how fast buildworld runs".  I do know that the
> speed of make world is dependent to a large extent on the speed of
> your disks and how many spindles you have.  How many disks do you have
> and where is your /usr/src and /usr/obj?

     Also note that, with SMP and Celerons, the 66MHz FSB may be an
issue.  If Amancio is right, and buildworld is memory bound, then a
100MHz FSB may give a noticeable improvement.

[ I should try to write a benchmark that tests memory contention and
  SMP.  I've got a similar system to yours, except that I've got striped
  SCSI disks.  I've never done a buildworld; perhaps it's time I did.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.