Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:12:47 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Alistair Phillips <file13@rentboy.co.za>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@rentboy.co.za>
Subject:   Re: SoftUpdates on /

# bts@babbleon.org / 2003-02-21 14:52:45 -0500:
> the reason that they disabled by default on / is almost
> certainly because the / is usually *small*, not large.

    thus spoke Terry Lambert in
    : I believe the reason it's not "on" in sysinstall is that sysinstall
    : tries to mount things async on the initial install, so that doing
    : things like unpacking ports doesn't take forever.  If it fails, you
    : can just restart, and having to do that a couple of times is still
    : faster than waiting for ordered metadata.

    : The technical reason that it doesn't do it is that the mount update
    : is not logically an "unmount without destroying vnodes(inodes) in
    : core, with a remount with the new options".  The main reason for
    : that is that the dependencies go all the way to the buffer cache,
    : and the backing vnode (e.g. the "raw" device) that's mounted does
    : not necessarily get its buffers flushed.  Basically, you'd have to
    : put a little more work into the "mount update" code.

    : This was discussed a long time ago on -arch, when soft updates
    : first came into FreeBSD, and then again every 18 months or so,
    : ever after.  See Kirk's postings on the subject, if you don't
    : want to take mine for it.