Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 05:56:59 -0400
From:      "Ken Cross" <kcross@ntown.com>
To:        "Ian J Greely" <Ian@tirnanog.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DENY ACL's

> I just finished a course on Win32 API where we had a look at the
> structures behind the Win ACL's. (Yeah, well company I work for is
> into Windows)
>
> The ACL strucure is parsed _IN ORDER_ and the FIRST ACL (allow or
> deny) that the user matches is applied. You can be bounced or allowed
> on a single entry. (Dependant upon the rights requested.) The ORDER of
> entries is significant.
>
> I can send the detail if people want. *shrug* Or you could look in a
> book!
>
> regards,
> Ian

You're quite right -- that's exactly how they are processed.  However, NTFS
absolutely enforces the ordering of ACL's such that deny ACL's always come
before allow ACL's.  Hence, deny ACL's are always processed first.

Hey, don't be embarrassed about learning Windows stuff -- it'd be a bigger
mistake to pretend it's not there.  And it always looks good on the resume.
;-)

Ken