Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 21:09:07 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa wrote:

> - PCIC is an ISA device. PCIC handles bus, yet the bus is not the
> bus PCIC belongs to. Please note that a PCIC is an ISA device and
> a bridge between ISA bus and PC Card bus. Also, if you see codes
> on NetBSD, bus dependent code and handling bridge is different.

I just wish this PCIC is ISA/PCIC is not ISA would get settled...
Can anyone on the not ISA camp *PROVE* it is not an ISA device? If
it is not an ISA device, it ought to be possible to show a case A
where an ISA device behaves in such an such way and PCIC does not.

> - sysctl is the last way to go. It can't work unless the module is
> loaded after boot.  There are also other problems loading the
> driver with current KLD.

That is incorrect. It can be set through loader at load time. This
is not hypothetical, it is the present state for PCIC.

> - User configuration method dependent on KLD or boot loader is
> wrong solution. It should be independent from them.

Why? By the same token, I suggest that configuration method should
be independent of anything you suggest. You did not justify your
position, so I don't need to justify mine. So I suggest you justify
your positions whenever you out-rule a possible solution.

> - It is clearly wrong to specify the management irq by sysctl.

Err... a lot of people don't see this way, so it might be wrong, but
it sure is not clear. Justify.

> - It is a bad way to handle resources by hard coding.  A way for
> the user to change the resources is must.  UserConfig is the
> available solution, now.

Ideally, userconfig should go away. It relies on the kernel being
running already, which is a bad thing.

> - The method used by PAO is the right way to go, although native
> probe/attach codes for PCI PCIC and CardBus controllers is yet to
> be written.

Justify.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"nothing better than the ability to perform cunning linguistics"