Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:37:26 -0500
From:      Christopher Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD's spamd.

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Dimitry Andric wrote:
>  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > What does stuttering mean?  Is it similar to sendmail's
>  > > "greet_pause" feature?
>  >
>  > See here:
>  > http://www.ualberta.ca/~beck/nycbug06/spamd/mgp00014.html
>
> OK, so the answer to my question seems to be "yes".  :-)

Actually I'd say it's similar. If you telnet to port 25 on a server
that's using sendmail's greet_pause option I'm assuming that you get
nothing for 5 seconds. OpenSD's Spamd sends the initial greeting at a
rate of one character per second and only accepts data from you at the
same rate.

Through experimentation Bob Beck determined that many spammers were
dropping the connection and forgetting about delivering the mail
completely after short and shorter intervals if the connection was rate
limited to 1 character / sec. When the spammers got down to 3 seconds he
modified spamd to stutter for 10 seconds on any connection. That feature
came in on OpenBSD 3.8

-- Chris