Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:07:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux or Unix?

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, a b wrote:

> Hi Admin,
> We have an unsolved problem.
> Is the FreeBSD operating system based on the Linux or the Unix kernel? I
> know that Linux is based on Unix, but does FreeBSD originate from Linux or
> Unix?

There are two basic "styles" of UNIX; "BSD" and "System V" (System 5).
BSD came out of UC Berkeley, System V came out of AT&T.  There are some
differences in file locations, command parameters, the startup scripts,
and sockets vs streams, but neither is clearly better or more popular than
the other.  Most UNIXes today are actually a mix of the two flavors.

For legal purposes, neither Linux or FreeBSD share any copywrited code
with either SysV or BSD.  They were written to do the same thing, and
often code has ended up identical, or nearly identical to real UNIX, but
supposedly it was pretty much written from scratch.

Linux tends to be more SysV-ish and FreeBSD tends to be more BSD-ish.

DDDD   David Kramer         david@thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD     One last warning: don't believe anything that you read in this
DKK D     document.  Every effort has been made to ensure that this document
DK KD     is incomplete and inaccurate, and I take no responsibility for an
DDDD      glimmers of correct information that may, by some fluke, be here.
                                                       UW_IMAP documentation