Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 13:51:36 -0400
From:      "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jail man page

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 07:09:27AM -0400, Chris Faulhaber wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:44:12PM -0400, Michael R. Wayne wrote:
> >
> > Posted to -hackers in the hope that this can be tweaked in 4.6 RELEASE.
> >
> > 4.5-RELEASE-p4
> > % man jail
> >
> >      D=/here/is/the/jail
> >      cd /usr/src
> >      make world DESTDIR=$D
> >           ^^^^^
> >
> > shouldn't that really be
> >    make installworld DESTDIR=$D
> >         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Kinda difficult to installworld if you haven't built it yet...

We are building from source here right?  Not doing a binary install.
So we should have recently followed the steps in UPDATING in order
to get our host upgraded.  So we use that.

jail is confusing enough as it is.  Having the man page tell people
to rebuild the world for each jail they are going to install is
not reasonable.

So it's more than a one word fix:

   Prior to installing a jail, you should follow the instructions in
   /usr/src/UPDATING to build the world and install it on the host.
   Then, for each jail you wish to create, do the following

/\/\ \/\/