Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:03:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        bsd@xtremedev.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I make my Soundblaster Live! work under FreeBSD?

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 bsd@xtremedev.com wrote:

> Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 02:35:42 -0600 (MDT)
> From: bsd@xtremedev.com
> Subject: Re: How do I make my Soundblaster Live! work under FreeBSD?
>
> > freebsd makes great servers. freebsd also makes great desktops. take a
> > look sometime at the hundreds of audio, video, etc.  ports in the ports
> > tree. there's support for video-capture/editing, surround sound, dsp,
> > and some good music composition and sequencing packages. people have
> > done some pretty impressive work making freebsd do all sorts of wacky
> > things. all my desktops are fbsd machines.
> >
> > focusing on the system as a server is fine, but implying that somebody
> > was misusing freebsd by wanting to have a sound card that worked was
> > what got fingers pointed at you.
> >
> > -Adam
>
> Implying? I only asked how well it was progressing with high fidelity
> sound support. Is everyone so paranoid about trolls that they jump at
> anything now? I want the SB Live! to work with FreeBSD as much as the
> original poster, especially the digital part. But just because I don't
> take daily counts of sound apps in ports (which have NOTHING to do with
> knowing whether or not digital support exists with the SB Live!) doesn't
> mean I assume everyone that uses FreeBSD other than as a server was
> misusing it.

I've found the FBSD support for my (cheap) SBLive! to be ok. No digital,
haven't tried, don't care. I can however (using e.g.) Audacity sample
incoming analog signals at 44k which is great for peeling individual
tracks off my 4-track.

The *major* shortfall in BSD and Linux with my card is that I can't play
back a track in Audacity while recording a new one at the same time. I
think this is a limitation of the driver, not the card.

I can use it for playing several audio streams at once, but the
restriction above makes it hard to do multi-track work. I haven't tried
ALAS yet, I will this Fall. I'm considering getting a professional
recording card, supported by ALSA, like a Hammerfalle.

The SBLive! support is ok (music and Kohan sound great!) but it is
limited. Very easy to install, though no real post-install
configuration/alteration that I know of.

Cheers - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg