Date:      Sun, 04 Feb 2001 22:31:43 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@ufl.edu>
To:        jakerivera@ameritech.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with modem in laptop

WinModems do not work with FreeBSD.  I don't think you have to remove
the internal modem as long as you don't run out of IRQs for the serial
ports.  You ought to be able to disable the internal modem in the BIOS.

I have an Inspiron 7500 and I use the PCMCIA modem that Dell sells,
the "Psion Dacom Gold Card Global 56k+fax modem".  It works well, but
it isn't cheap (at least not compared to Winmodems).

- Bob