Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:43:53 +0000
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Reasonable Hyperterminal Alternative [solved]

Gentlemen (those BCc'd) and List;

Pursuant to this earlier request I was ultimately successful in locating
a Windows XP Hyperterminal alternative that enabled me to connect to the
serial port of a server, but *also* a client that allows ssh and telnet
[shudder] sessions within the same interface.

The client in question is "IVT" written by a guy called Ruurd Beerstra,
and can be obtained from:
http://home.planet.nl/~ruurdb/

Think of it as a tabbed interface for various connection protocols. For
example at the present moment I have several sessions open in one
instance of IVT:
Serial console connection to mail server
Telnet connection to ADSL router
ssh2 connection to NL datacenter box
ssh2 connection to US datacenter box

It's a highly decent (and FREE) client. Way WAY better than
Hyperterminal and an excellent companion application to Putty. (Meaning
sometimes you may care to use Putty for normal ssh connections, and at
other times if you happen to have IVT open, start an ssh session in
there to your server of choice)

I think there are one or two minor flaws in it, but nothing of note. I
encourage everyone to download and try it - AND - send Ruud some
feedback. I'd imagine that the more feedback he gets, the more he'll
be motivated to continue improving on an already impressive piece of
software.

Thanks for the advice and help everyone.

Regards,
-Colin
--
Colin J. Raven