Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:31:29 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "David Loszewski" <stealth215@mediaone.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ^M on end of lines

On Saturday 03 November 2001 23:29, David Loszewski wrote:
> So then how do I strip it of the '^M's then? Lol, this is the biggest
> pain in the ass, and I'm not a complete newbie. If I do 'wget' I get the
> same thing sometimes so I'm starting to think that there's something
> wrong with the configs in the system.  Ideas on where I should start
> looking?

There has been a lot of noise in this thread, but I think we need to go back
to the beginning.

You say that you are "not a complete newbie" and that you are getting lots of
^Ms.  Presumably this means that there was some *other* circumstance where
you *didn't* see a bunch of ^Ms.

What were you running before where you didn't see the ^Ms?
What are you running now where you do?

The reality is that if you use missing MS-DOS/Unix system, or you use
typescript, or you do any number of other things, ^Ms are normal.

But this should be true of ANY Unixy system.  FreeBSD is not any different
from Linux, System V, Solaris, HP/UX, or anybody else in this regard.

And of course under Windows, *all* files end in ^M.

However, the editors don't show ^M as a visible chracters.

Is it perhaps as simple as the fact that you are now using an editor that
displays <CR>s and previously you used an editor that didn't display them?