Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:19:11 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to tell if Port is blocked...

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 08:43:33AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Saturday 22 February 2003 08:21 am, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > >
> > > If you have access from a machine outside your network, telnet to
> > > your home IP address on that port. Eg to test port 80
> > > telnet my.ip.address.here 80
> >
> > I've run into this before, and this will tell you if that port is
> > blocked, but not where.  Try a traceroute on the port (see manpage, I
> > don't remember if it's as simple as with telnet).
> >
> > Unfortunately, it still may not tell you how to fix the problem.  If
> > you're using a DSL or cable modem, the port may get blocked there,
> > and may not be configurable.
> >

> Last time I looked, Verizon had a no-local sever clause in their Terms
> of Service.

Traceroute is not really the tool you are after.

You need an external port scan done  using another Internet
connection or by a friend, or someone you can trust will
not use the results for nefarious means.

There are sites that will do simple scans for you
.. but of course is up to you whether you trust them ;).

Actually I get scanned several times a day by dopeheads looking for
open-ports on my system. It is a fact of Internet life, it is not rocket
science. Probably everyone on this list, certainly if they have a
(semi)permanent net connection gets scanned as well.

If your ISP is blocking you..change your ISP.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson