Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 04:15:53 -0000
From:      "BSD Blood" <bsdblood@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports and Packages Mixture

Hello.
   My first priority for installing software is by using packages and then
the ports collection. If the package dependencies do not have a package,
I'll download those dependencies using the ports collection. My questions
are:-
1. Is it safe for me to mix the packages and ports systems?
2. I have these 2 entries when I do a # pkg_info
   png-1.0.10
   png-1.0.7
   Do I need to delete the older png-1.0.7? Will the deletion cause other
applications to fail?
3. After using the Ports Collection to install software, are the software
added to the packages system? (i.e. when I do a # pkg_info , will the
software be shown in this output)?