Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:04:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>
To:        paleph@pacbell.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem installing xfree86 under 4.6.2

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 paleph@pacbell.net wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a 4.5 system that I've been trying to upgrade to 4.6.2. Everything
> goes well upto the point that I try to install xfree86. Using either
> sysinstall or the command line install program, I get the following
> error:
>
> XFree86 configuraiton process seems to have filed. Do you want to try again.`

If I had to guess, you were probably running XFree86 3.3.6 before, and
as part of the upgrade to 4.6.2, XFree86 4.2 got installed. In that
case, I think your /etc/XF86Config file would be preserved, although it
may now contain some incompatible syntax with XFree86 4.2.

If I'm right so far, I recommendation this:

0. Back up your /etc/XF86Config file.
1. Try moving it out of the way and using the new "xf86cfg" utility
create a new compatible file from scratch, using the old file as a
reference as needed.

Below are some diffs between my own and new config files, illustrating
some changes with how keyboards and mice are declared, and how some keys
are mapped.

  -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/

######
40,62c48,70
< Section "Keyboard"
<    Protocol        "Standard"
<    AutoRepeat      500 30
< #   LeftAlt         Meta
< #   RightAlt        Meta
< #   ScrollLock      Compose
< #   RightCtl        Control
<    XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
<    XkbTypes        "default"
<    XkbCompat       "default"
<    XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
<    XkbGeometry     "pc"
<    XkbKeymap       "xfree86(us)"
<    XkbRules        "xfree86"
< EndSection
<
< Section "Pointer"
<    Protocol        "PS/2"
<    Device          "/dev/mouse"
<    BaudRate        1200
<    Emulate3Timeout 50
<    Resolution      100
<    Emulate3Buttons
---
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier  "Keyboard 1"
>   Driver      "keyboard"
>   Option      "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
>   Option      "XkbModel"   "pc101"
>   Option      "XkbLayout"  "us"
>     Option      "Protocol"        "Standard"
>     Option      "XkbRules"        "xfree86"
>     Option "XkbOptions"     "altwin:meta_win"
> # Option      "LeftAlt"         "Meta"
> #    Option      "RightAlt"        "Meta"
>     Option      "ScrollLock"      "Compose"
>     Option      "RightCtl"        "Control"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier "Mouse 1"
>    Driver     "mouse"
>    Option     "Protocol"        "PS/2"
>    Option     "Device"          "/dev/psm0"
>    Option     "BaudRate"      "120"
>    Option     "Resolution"      "100"
>    Option   "Emulate3Buttons"
95,97d95