Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:31:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing/NAT Problem after Upgrade to 4.1

Well, this turned out to be a doozy...

After recompiling the kernel a couple of times, I began to trace through
firewall rules using ipfw -at list.  After looking at the list 10 times, I
noticed the divert command was using the wrong interface.  So I looked at
/etc/rc.conf and all seemed ok.  I checked /etc/defaults/rc.conf and I noticed
my custom script was assigning the interface from the defaults/rc.conf!  This
didn't happen in 3.5, but it only took a minor edit to fix in 4.1-STABLE.

I appreciate your help on this.  Now I can at least sleep.

Gene

 On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:

>  On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 06:08:15PM -0500, Gene Harris wrote:
>  > I recently upgraded to version 4.1-RELEASE from version 3.5-STABLE.
>  > The upgraded machine is used primarly as a nat server for a small
>  > network.  After upgrading, I have been unable to route to the internet from my
>  > internal machines.  The natd daemon is loaded, but something does not appear
>  > to be work correctly and I am too stupid to get natd to produce any decent
>  > logging information.
>
>  The rc.conf looks fine. It's strange it has worked before, but not
>  now. I guess you need to have a look at your firewall script.
>
>  When you are trying to get outside from an internal machine, can you
>  see where the packets are going (or not going) on the gateway by doing
>  some tcpdumps?
>  --
>  Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

         Tetron Software, LLC
    http://www.tetronsoftware.com
FreeBSD  Apache  PostgreSQL  Oracle 8/8i
Windows 95/98/NT  Visual C  Visual Basic