Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 01:46:02 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make a headless box

On 8 Jun 2002, at 4:41, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> Most computer BIOSes, especially that old, won't allow you to start up
> without a video card.  That doesn't mean you have to have a monitor
> attached...  You can run headless by not attaching the monitor to it.
> Make sure you tell the BIOS to ignore keyboard errors if you can -- many
> BIOSes won't go past a keyboard error unoless you have a setting set to
> ignore keyboard errors.
>
> Chad

After I sent that message I managed to find some additional
resources. Turns out I'm pretty lucky to have such an ancient
machine. Since it has an American Megatrends (AMI) BIOS from 1993, I
can shut off both the keyboard and the display probes, so it'll boot
with no video card.

Still, it's pretty late and I don't feel like recompiling my kernel
tonight to enable a serial console. I'll tackle that tomorrow. :)

Regards,

Corey