Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:33:42 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>, Simon <simon@optinet.com>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anyway to ipfw filter based on MAC address?

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 11:31:06PM -0400, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 07:02:03PM -0700, Jaye Mathisen wrote:
> >
> > Just exactly what I said in the Subject.  I want to filter on the ethernet
> > MAC address.
>
> I guess the "ip" in "ipfw" just wasn't obvious enough that it is an IP firewall
> tool. You're one layer too low.

We already have filter rules to check if a packet would get bridged.
And none IP protocols like IPX get bridged depending on the default rule
of ipfw.
I don't think that ipfw stand for ip only anymore.
But I'm not shure if we still have the MAC address at this layer.

Unfortunately we can't use a fwd action for bridged packets ;(
Anyone with a good idea how to get missings parameters in the bridge
code for calling the firewall check code.
Is it OK to just get emtpy structures?
If I understood it right the bridge checks only at incoming time and
normaly fwd should be used for outgoing packets.
Will this be any big problem?

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de