Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2006 04:33:35 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO 3945ABG Wireless

--nextPart2226331.MQCKfHaGEq

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 04:12, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I've been trying to get this to work on my laptop without success.
> According to this page -
> <http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/ipw-freebsd.html>; - the ipw driver
> should work.  I can load the driver, but it doesn't show up in dmesg.

You are mistaken, I'm afraid.  This has been discussed a couple of time=20
already.  The ipw(4) driver supports the now already quite dated 2100bg=20
cards.  Support for the new 3945abg is not available - other than ndis(4)=20
and I don't know if that works or not.  OpenBSD has a driver by the name=20
of wpi(4).  This is probably the point to start from if you were to write=20
a FreeBSD one.

> kldstat -n if_ipw
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> 10    1 0xc52d0000 9000     if_ipw.ko
>
> dmesg | grep ipw
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD hostname.utdallas.edu 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun
> May 7 04:32:43 UTC 2006
> root@opus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> The startup script, that's supposed to download the firmware, fails, of
> course.
>
>  /etc/rc.d/ipw start
> Starting ipw [ipw0:bss]ipwcontrol: Can't load /boot/firmware/ipw.fw to
> driver: Device not configured
>
> Have I missed something?
>
> Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
> Adjunct Information Security Officer