Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:04:15 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft giving back to FreeBSD !!

(CCd to advocacy)

Rick Hamell wrote:

<snip>
> > This is very cool!
> >
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2001/06/27/dotnet.html
>
>         To bad the.NET project is Microsoft's latest attempt to take over
> the Internet.... :(
>
>         Rick

Resistance is futile, they will be assimilated ! ;)

Seriously, Java is putting a serious weight so it won't be that easy.
They will have to have real technical merits to be successful in their
attempt. FWIW, it is really weird to find SUN somewhat ignoring us in
all this while MS is actually playing clean.

What is nice here is that in an unprecedented Press Release, Microsoft
is encouraging people to use FreeBSD. The could have released binaries
for Linux, after all most of this is userland code, but they chose us,
apparently with a very user friendly license, and whatever reason they
might have it is very good to have them around.

Perhaps now that they are working with Corel on this, and FreeBSD is
one of the two supported platforms we can finally get a native port of
Corel's office suite. (there you go ... a plausible campaign).

I have this feeling that FreeBSD doesn't need more hackers, but rather
a real strategist. Apple, Microsoft, Wind River.... all big companies
in their fields: the spotlight is on FreeBSD now!

	Pedro.