Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:37:13 -0500
From:      Edmund_L_Mulligan@armstrong.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        djv@bedford.net
Subject:   Re: Supported Hardware in FreeBSD

There are versions of the Celeron on the way that do have some L2 cache on
board, but only 128 instead of 512(?).

If anyone is looking to buy a Celeron, they are certainly into the "cheap"
computer range (Welcome!  I'm here too.)  SCSI and dual PII isn't a serious
suggestion.  Something to dream about, but probably not a reality.  You've
probably made the motherboard 2 to 3 times more expensive.

The Celeron uses the same socket, but a different support system.  The chip will
fit into the socket but may or may not be mechanically secure.  It uses a
different heatsink as well.  Intel has the specs for Slot 1 as a .pdf file on
their web pages somewhere.

www.tomshardware.com

is a good place to look into the Celeron issues, including overclocking.

I considered this option as well, until I saw that the price difference between
it and the regular PII really wasn't enough to make a difference.  Besides, you
can overclock the PII, except for Intel's recent change that supposedly disables
the higher clock multiplier pins on the PII-233.  If you are running good ram,
you can always keep the same multiplier and change the bus speed.

djv@bedford.net on 07/25/98 08:30:35 PM

Please respond to djv@bedford.net