Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:29:48 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
To:        morten@hotpost.dk
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs OpenBSD

Hi,

Actually, this is a very subjective question.  I personally use both
OpenBSD and FreeBSD, and both have its own vagaries.

For example, OpenBSD has apache, lynx etc installed by default, while in
FreeBSD one has to install them separately.  But that's still not huge.
OpenBSD doesn't have things like netscape (it can be run, but it is not
direct), doesn't have a cdplayer (my biggest complaint) etc.  But on the
other hand, (as we all know) it has this secure-OS crazy, and that is
something.

> > > OpenBSD have the best manpages I've ever seen, I love them.
> >
> > Could you explain in what ways you think they're better than the
> > FreeBSD manpages?
>
> Yes. I seem to find better references through 'man-k' in OpenBSD than
> FreeBSD, and that's Good.

Acatually, I think thats coz of the differences in hte way this command
works in FreeBSD and OpenBSD.  FreeBSD also checks for man pages in your
$PATH (unless u specifically use $MANPATH), and that is different from
OpenBSD.

> The afterboot(8) manpage is a good addition, read it at
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=afterboot&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html to see what I'm talking about.

True.

> FreeBSD does have a very good build system, and a huge ports collection,
> a definite bonus for a (primarily) workstation user like me, and it has
> a large userbase, more people to ask questons. :-)

Yes, this is what I was referring to above.

OpenBSD mailing lists are good, but the guys are tough.  They know their
stuff, but they could get rude pretty fast.  FreeBSD I have never had to
ask much questions on the list, and so I don't know ...  (as an aside,
NetBSD mailing list has some real nice people).

I suppose that's it.  If you can, try them both out; and then decide.

Regards.
__
Rakhesh Sasidharan	rakhesh at cse.iitd.ac.in