Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:56:40 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed new 'options' target

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 07:09:09PM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> that's a good quick hack[tm] but it doesn't prevent the port options
> from being scrolled off screen when building and doesn't increase
> usability very much.
>
> i'll try and come up with a patch in the 32th week which will
> (hopefully) include these features:
>  o ask for options via dialog or tcl/tk when port is building
>    o if/iff no options were chosen before
>  o save options while building and with the package
>  o retrieve options from already installed package
>  o use options versioning
>
> this would be a major leap towards better usability. with a standardized
> frontend much more ports would be able to support options.
>
> this is my proposal. comments and flames welcome. patches too ;]

I like it.  Does anyone else have implementations they've
finished which have never been committed?  I'd like to pick one
and go with it, fix problems later.  Right now is a pretty good
time for this kind of thing, since 4.7 is still a few months away.

Nik, I looked at your patch.  I think (but would have to ask
gnome@) that WITH_GNOME check should go in bsd.gnomeng.mk.  And
as Simon says, the interface should be flexible, allowing people
to choose from dialog, gui, or perhaps cli, what you implemented.

Regards,
--
wca