Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:13:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Jason Halbert <res02jw5@gte.net>
Cc:        "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Jason Halbert wrote:

> The evidence suggests that "Hudson, Henrik H." wrote:
>
> > Hey Jason-
> >
> > I would suggest reading up on virtusertable  in regards to the
> actual
> > mailboxes for incoming mail. As for the relaying, you need to add
> either
> > your IP or the name that your IP resolves too to the sendmail.cw
> file (if
> > sendmail 8.9 something) or the local-host-allow file if newer then
> that.

(SNIP)
> No I don't think that is correct for sendmail.  I need it to forward
> all mail it recieves from any host to any host.
>
> I am using the latest version of sendmail and apperently there is some
> FEATURE you have to add so that it relay's without discrimisation.
> I've read lots of stuff on sendmail.org and I can't figure out where
> it's talking about that I have to add the stuff I need to.
>
> So I'm still lost (if not more so then when I started).
>
> My POP server is working now though, so that's good.

Jason,

Without going into all kinds of details here because it's just
too long to explain... Sendmail for the last few years has
not allowed relaying unless you specifically allow it.

What you have here is a version of sendmail that requires the
virtual user table and the access database. These are called
features". There is a file in /etc/mail called
"access". It tells sendmail who can access the system.
Relaying is controlled by putting in the access file
domain names or IP addresses of folks allowed to relay
through sendmail's SMTP port 25. Each line consists
of an IP or domain name followed by RELAY. IE;

100.100.100.100 RELAY

This allows IP address 100.100.100.100 to relay thru sendmail.

To make it work, refer to the first line of the sample access file.
It is an example of how to make the access.db file that
sendmail is sceaming for from the access text file
using makemap.

Put the IP of your Windows box in there followed by RELAY
and run makemap.

The Virtual User Table is also in /etc/mail. You also
use makemap to transform it into database.
"makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access".

Please read the explanations of these two features on
www.sendmail.org and you will be OK. Also, read the
README file in /etc/mail.
Nice to see a ham and TV guy on here! I'm W2XO
and work at a mobile video company.

-Jim Durham