Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:18:33 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        lcremean@tidalwave.net, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

At 02:10 PM 2/8/99 -0500, Lee Cremeans wrote:

>Brett, you're missing the point yet again. The BSD license as we see it is
>free to _all_ comers, no matter what bent they may be -- GPL, proprietary,
>even (*shudder*) Microsoft. Putting a "poison pill" in the license would
>make it just as distasteful to the champions of free software as the GPL is
>to corporations. Like Jordan said, this is one of the great things about the
>license we have now; it doesn't assume that one group of users is inherently
>"evil".

I don't see it as a matter of good and evil but as a matter of basic fairness.
I don't think it's good to offer the code on one set of terms to users and
on another (very onerous) set of terms to commercial developers. I'd like to see
some ideas about how to avoid this! For example, should I write a whizzy
new driver for FreeBSD, I'd hate to see it incorporated into Linux when
my intent is to promote BSD-licensed software.

--Brett

"Rules? This is the Internet." -- Dan Gillmor