Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:44:47 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: List of fake vs. real SATA drives.

FUJISHIMA Satsuki wrote:
> Currently native SATA drives are still not so popular. There are:

> Seagate Barracuda ATA V, 7200.7, 7200.8

I have one of these, and I am really impressed by its performance.  I
added one to my computer, which came with a Maxtor 6Y080L0.  My main
disk intensive operation is creating the CTM deltas (as in CTM which is
an alternative to CVSUP for people behind unfriendly firewalls).  The
performance difference was somewhat collosal, as in something like 3
times faster.  To be honest, I am still at a loss to explain why the
Seagate did so very much better - maybe it is the 8M cache as compared
to the 2M cache.  The Seagate 7200.7 had similar performance to a
Seagate 160MHz SCSI drive that I have on another computer.

Stephen