Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:13:14 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to allow a driver to report unrecoverable write errors to the buf layer

Thus spake Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>:
> >Recently?  I know that the bug was present at least six months
> >ago, and probably earlier as well.
>
> That's "recently" enough for me :-)
>
> --
Ah yes, I should have guessed.  Do you happen to know at what
point it was non-broken?  The problem seems nontrivial to fix,
given that you have to be able to propagate the failure up to the
filesystem and cancel all dependent metadata updates in order to
maintain correctness.  That's why it seems easier to me to just
destory the failed buffers on unmount, but maybe I'm missing
something.