Date:      Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:10:30 +0200
From:      Frank Heitmann <fh31415@gmx.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Basic mail and Sendmail problem

Hi,

I am new to FreeBSD and have a problem with mail (and sendmail
I suppose). At home I have a desktop PC with only a dialup PPP (PPPoE)
connection; now I want to send a message with 'mail' from one local
user to another (for example to remind myself to do something), but
I already get stuck here.

My /etc/hosts file looks like this:

127.0.0.1     localhost
192.168.1.1   myhost.mydomain    myhost

in /etc/rc.conf I have:

hostname="myhost.mydomain"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

When I know try to send a mail to 'userone' with 'mail -v userone'
I get the following error (same error in /var/spool/clientmqueue):
userone... Connecting to localhost.mydomain. via relay...
userone... Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.mydomain.

I don't know what to do. I have already tried to find a clue
in the handbook, the faq, several man pages and the sendmail faq,
but I haven't found out what to do. Also I have started to read
the sendmail documentation, but I don't know if it is a problem
with sendmail or if it is something differnt. (I thought it might
be something like adding "Cwmydomain" to sendmail.cf but that
did not work.)
Can someone tell me what to do or give me some ideas what might
be the problem and what to read?

Greets...
Frank