Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:35:45 -0800
From:      Doug King <dj@stmichael.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slackware vs FreeBSD, aswell as my opinion on this list.

Brandon Lockhart wrote:

> Slackware vs. FreeBSD
>
> I have run both systems.  I ran Slackware Linux for about 2 years, and am
> now experimenting with FreeBSD.  When I ran Slackware, I was lucky to get
> a 10 day uptime.  I have experimented with both Redhat5 and Slackware (96
> i belive).  Both of these operating system's chewed RAM like you wouldn't
> belive.  It was close to Windows.  When I installed FreeBSD.  A 10 day
> uptime for me is considered bad.

Hmmmm.... Uptime on my production machines is running something over 175
days... I had a power failure back in November when the first El Nino
storms hit.  Otherwise, I suspect that they would be over 300 days.

My Crash and Burn machine, on the other hand, is up-and-down like a
yo-yo. But that's mostly because I'm CONSTANTLY stressing it in various
ways... and then again, I found a bad SCSI cable the other day that
might have something to do with it.  ;-)

> Now, about my opinion on this list.  There would be no FreeBSD chat
> between newbies if there where no questions.  I think this list should be
> for FreeBSD newbies in general.  Not just for chat, but questions also.  I
> mean, the manual is a good place to find answers, but who write's those
> things.  If we could understand them we wouldn't need to ask questions.

I STRONGLY concur... the best way for a newbie to quit being a newbie
(presuming one wants to do such a thing) is to gain enough confidence to
begin to try to answere others questions.... not necessarily the deep
and hard ones (which still, probably, would belong to the other
lists)... At least, that's how I learn best.

Cheers,
dj

--
+